Saturday, April 23, 2011
This is my first trial in making tiramisu. Love it! Here's the recipe.
1 cup of strong espresso
1 tbs sugar
Dissolve the sugar in the coffee when it's still hot. Let it stand at room temperature.
2 egg yolks
50 gram sugar
225 gram mascarpone cheese (substitute with cream cheese if you can't find this)
1 cup heavy whip cream - whip until fluffy
1. Beat the egg yolks in a heat proof bowl until fluffy. Beat in sugar. Transfer over a pot of simmering water. Whisk until it thickens. It will thicken just before boiling, when small bubble appears. This is call zabaglione.
2. Mash the cheese until creamy. Add the zabaglione into the cheese. Beat to mix well.
3. Fold the whip cream into zabaglione until smooth. Don't beat.
Approximately 20 ladyfinger cookies (savoiardi)
If you don't have ladyfinger, use sponge cake, cut into 1 cm thick
1. Dip the ladyfinger lightly into the coffee, one at a time. It will absorb the liquid and become soft very fast, so work fast.
2. Arrange the ladyfinger in a loaf pan, then top with the zabaglione mix. (If you are using sponge cake, lay the sponge cake on the bottom of the loaf pan. Brush the coffee mixture all over the sponge cake).
3. Repeat the steps until you get the cream to top it last. I managed to get 3 layers.
4. Dust the top with cocoa powder. Chill for about 3-4 hours. Then dust with a little bit more cocoa powder before serve.
Serves 2-4 people